Saturday, April 22, 2006

Sleeping Grace

As the potential for some very exciting things continues to look more and more like reality, I am in awe of the grace of God. A very good friend listened as I talked through what appeared to be happening in my life and how it would have far reaching impacts and he commented, "you're really experiencing a time of grace", or something like that, anyway, he just excitedly reminded me of God's work in this.

Tonight, as I finish preparations for church tomorrow, my wife is sleeping behind me, and my son is asleep in his room. I paused, turned around and looked at my wife, she's so beautiful sleeping peacefully there. I got up and looked at my son, sleeping soundly with his little butt up in the air.
A reminder came flooding into my thoughts. Even if all the things that I anticipate completely fall through, my life has far more grace in it than I'll ever deserve.

6 comments:

Monk-in-Training said...

A Prayer for a Married Couple

O God, our Heavenly Father, protect and bless us. Deepen and strengthen our love for each other day by day. Grant that by Thy mercy neither of us ever say one unkind word to the other.

Forgive and correct our faults, and make us constantly to forgive one another should one of us unconsciously hurt the other. Make us and keep us sound and well in body, alert in mind, tender in
heart, devout in spirit. O Lord, grant us each to rise to the other's best. Then we pray Thee add to our common life such virtues as only Thou canst give. And so, O Father, consecrate our life and our love completely to Thy worship, and to the service of all about us, especially those whom Thou has appointed us to serve, that we may always stand before Thee in happiness
and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

This beautiful prayer was written by Bishop Slattery, soon after his marriage, to be used each day in their family devotions at home in Boston, Massachusetts.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

It's good to remember how "rich" we really are, huh? I think that all the time about my life...

heartsjoy said...

okay, this made me cry...how precious. If your wife doesn't read blogs you've got to have her look at this one...touching.

Diane Viere said...

Seems like you have your priorities in order....to allow grace flow abundantly! Keep living in that grace-filled state!

Diane

janiners said...

I can really relate to this post right now because i really feel like I am living in that "time of grace" in my own life. it's hard to put into words all that i sense and/or anticipate God is up to (and I am hesitant to presume that I know anything for sure). but, I have to agree with your last line and know that my whole life is an act of God's grace. thanks for sharing this. :-)

LiteratureLover said...

Whaaa!!! That is so precious. Thanks for reminding me to consider all of the amazing grace in my life.